United States Coursework

Q: Do I need to enter all of my college courses on my PTCAS application?

A: Yes!! You must key enter all (every last one) of your college courses on the PTCAS application including repeated, failed and withdrawn courses.

Q: What will happen if I don’t enter all of my courses?

A: If your application is missing courses or the courses were entered incorrectly, PTCAS will place your application on hold and/or return your application to you for corrections until the discrepancies are resolved. Your “Coursework” section should be an exact replica of your official transcripts. Do not attempt to enter your courses from memory. Request an additional copy of your official transcript from the colleges and universities you attended so you may enter your courses correctly on the application.

Q: WHY do I need to enter all of my college courses on my PTCAS application?

A: You must enter all of your United States courses on your PTCAS application because it…

  • Allows PTCAS to automatically generate 20+ different GPAs using standardized criteria and calculations.
  • Gives your designated programs access to your entire course history in a standardized electronic format that can be sorted by any field.
  • Eliminates the need for programs to decipher different transcript formats.
  • Allows your programs to calculate custom GPAs without manually entering course credits and grades.
  • Provides PTCAS with a mechanism to collect additional information about your course history that is not (typically) on transcripts, such as the course subjects, core PT prerequisite matches, student status at the time each course taken (e.g., freshman), and test scores for AP, IB, and CLEP credit.
  • Eliminates the need for PTCAS staff to manually enter all courses which would increase cost to apply and the average processing time by weeks or months.

Q: My designated PT program only requires certain prerequisite courses. Do I still need to enter all of my college courses on the application?

A: Yes. You must enter all of your undergraduate, graduate, and professional courses on the PTCAS application, even if they are not required by the PT program for admission.

Q: How do I enter my Advanced Placement (AP) courses in the Coursework section?

A: You should enter any AP courses that appear on your official transcripts in the coursework section under the term the credit was granted by your college or university. These courses should be marked with the special classification of “Advanced Placement”. If your transcript does not indicate your AP Test score, please enter it as “None”.

Q: How do I enter college (co-op or cooperative) credits earned while I was still in high school?

A: If you received college credit for a co-op course taken in high school from any college or university, you MUST list that institution on your PTCAS application and enter the coursework, even if you did not take courses on the campus of that institution. PTCAS must also receive an official transcript from the college/university registrar or records office.

Q: If I have transferred coursework from one institution to another, can I enter all of my coursework off of one transcript?

A: No. You must enter all coursework exactly as it appears on the transcript from the original institution where the courses were taken.

Q: Should I enter my Canadian courses in the Coursework section?

A: Yes. Enter any Canadian colleges and universities you have attended and enter your Canadian coursework on your PTCAS application. Canadian coursework will NOT be verified or factored into your PTCAS GPA calculations. PTCAS will accept original Canadian transcripts provided that they are in English. Do NOT send original Canadian transcripts if they are in French. Review the PTCAS Directory to determine what Canadian documentation is required by your designated programs. Your designated PT programs may require you to send an original Canadian transcript directly to the institution and/or a foreign evaluation report to PTCAS. PTCAS will NOT hold your application file for missing Canadian coursework or foreign evaluations.

Q: Do I enter my Study Abroad courses in the Coursework section?

A: Yes. As long as the study abroad courses appear on a United States transcript with itemized grades and credit hours, you must enter your study abroad courses on the PTCAS application. PTCAS will include study abroad courses in all PTCAS GPA calculations.

Q: Why am I getting a message that says “An identical session already exists at this college” when I attempt to enter my coursework?

A: You are attempting to create a duplicate term or session that you previously entered. You should create each college term or session (e.g., fall 2010) only ONCE, and enter ALL coursework taken during that term under that one listing. You should only use the “Add New Session” link to add each new term.

Q: If my school operates on a Semester calendar, but I took classes over the Summer or Winter Intercessions, should I list those terms as another type of session?

A: No. If your college or university operates on a semester calendar, all sessions should be listed as semesters, not as Quarters, Trimesters or Units. The type of calendar your institution operates on should be used for ALL sessions.

Q: How should I list coursework that I repeated or attempted more than once?

A: You must enter ALL attempts of EVERY course taken, even if you later repeated a course or if your college or university removed the initial attempt from your GPA calculation. Mark the first, subsequent, and final course attempts with a Special Classification of “Repeated.” Enter the number of credit hours attempted, regardless of how many credits you earned. List all grades as stated on the transcript. Any course with a grade of W (Withdrawn) or a special classification of “Incomplete” will not be calculated into your GPAs.

Fall 2004 MATH 100: Calculus F 4.0 Repeated
Spring 2005 MATH 100: Calculus C- 4.0 Repeated
Fall 2005 HIST 101: US History W 3.0 Not Applicable
Spring 2006 HIST 101: US History A 3.0 Not Applicable
Fall 2005 CHEM 200: Organic W 4.0 Not Applicable
Spring 2006 CHEM 200: Organic F 4.0 Repeated
Fall 2007 CHEM 200: Organic B+ 4.0 Repeated
Fall 2007 BIOL 250: Anatomy I 4.0 Incomplete
Spring 2008 BIOL 250: Anatomy I 4.0 Repeated

Q: If I have taken a course more than once, does PTCAS use the higher grade for my GPAs?

A: PTCAS will include ALL of your initial AND repeated coursework in the GPA calculations, including those repeated under freshman forgiveness, academic bankruptcy, and other related institutional policies.

Q: How do I determine the Course Level for my coursework?

A: Select the course level that best describes the level of the course (lower-division, upper division or graduate), regardless of your enrollment status at the time the course was taken. For example, an introductory Biology course (e.g., BIOL 101) should be categorized as a “lower-division” course level, even if you took the course during your final year of college.

Q: How do I determine the Course Subjects of my coursework?

A: When you enter your courses on the application, you can view a list of sample courses for each Course Subjects by clicking on the text below the Course Subject drop-down menu. If you cannot find the name of your course on the list, select a Course Subject based on the departmental prefix for the course (e.g. BIO, PHYS, ENGL, etc.). PTCAS will attempt to verify this field and will adjust the Course Subject if you have classified your coursework incorrectly.

Q: How do I enter my courses if my transcript indicates Course Credits or Units (One course = 1 Credit) rather than Credit Hours (One course = 4 sem. hours)?

A: Certain programs grant credit using a course credit or unit system in which the majority of courses are equivalent to one course credit or unit rather than semester or quarter hours. In order for PTCAS to calculate your GPAs correctly, you must enter your coursework with credit hours, rather than course credits or units, even if your transcript lists these courses using course credits or units. If your credits are not entered correctly, your application will be delayed and GPAs incorrect. Institutions that use this credit system generally have information regarding credit hour equivalency on the back of the official transcript. If you cannot locate this information on the back of your transcript, call your institution’s Registrar or Records Office.

Q: How do I enter my coursework and grades if my transcript is in a narrative (non-graded) format?

A: If narrative evaluations were used at your institution in lieu of grades, you should list your coursework and use P (Pass) as the grade if pass credit was awarded or NG (No Grade) if there is a purely narrative evaluation of your performance with no associated credit value listed on the transcript. Copies of narrative evaluations will be forwarded to your designated programs.

Q: What do I do if my university used a non-traditional grading or term system?

A: Please enter your coursework as accurately as possible. If the PTCAS application does not give you the option of selecting the grades or credit hours that are listed on your transcript, please try to reproduce your transcript as closely as possible based on the information provided on the back of your transcript. PTCAS will verify your coursework based on the information provided on your transcript.

Q: Will PTCAS send my transcripts back to me?

A: NO. PTCAS cannot send any documents back to you for any reason. Do NOT send PTCAS your only copy of any important documents if you cannot obtain a replacement for yourself or for your designated PT program(s), should such a document be requested once you are admitted to a program.

Q: Will PTCAS send my official transcript to my PT program once I am admitted?

A: No. Any documents received by PTCAS will be used solely for verification purposes and subsequently archived. If you are accepted by a PT program, you may be required to arrange for a second set of official transcripts to be sent directly from the Registrar’s office of every college and university you have attended to the PT program.