Transcript Entry

important icon You must enter all United States and Canadian coursework attempted exactly as it appears on your official transcripts, including those that were attempted, failed, repeated, and withdrawn.
How to Enter Your Courses
  • Do not enter courses from memory. Refer to a personal copy of your transcripts.
  • ·         Enter each course once from the transcript provided by the school where you originally took the course, even if the credits transferred to another institution.
  • Enter all courses, even if they do not fulfill a prerequisite or you later repeated them.
    • Enter courses in order of oldest to most recent.
    • Enter college credit granted in high school, such as Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB).
    • Enter community college courses completed during summer terms.
    • Enter placement exams (eg, CLEP or a departmental exam) where college credit was earned.
    • Do not enter foreign coursework completed outside of the United States or Canada, unless it is a study-abroad program.
Coursework Verification

PTCAS will verify your self-reported coursework against your official transcripts. PTCAS will not enter your courses for you unless you pay an additional fee. PTCAS will return your application to you for corrections or explanation if there are a significant number of course discrepancies or omissions. Your application will be placed on hold until the corrections are fixed. If you fail to properly enter all of your courses when you first submit your application or do not make timely corrections as requested, your application will be delayed in processing and you may jeopardize your chances for admission.

Add a Semester

Select the institution and click the “Add Semester” button. Next, select the term, year, and academic status.

  • For any undergraduate-level terms completed after you received a bachelor’s degree, select “Post-Baccalaureate.”
  • For any courses that fall outside of the typical academic statuses, choose “Freshman.”
  • After you enter all courses for all colleges, you will be prompted to start the Transcript Review and identify coursework that was repeated, awarded as credit via an AP test, awarded as credit by IB or other tests, was completed at honors level, and completed as study abroad. (See more explanation below under “Review and Finalized Transcripts.”)
Add Coursework

Select the “Add a Course” button to enter courses for the appropriate term.

Course Code

Enter the departmental prefix and course number for the course, such as BIOL 100, exactly as it appears on your transcript. If the course prefix is numeric on the transcript, enter it on the application in the same format. Do not include section numbers.

Course Title

Enter the full title of the course, such as “Introduction to Biology,” exactly as it appears on your transcript.


Select from the dropdown list the subject that best describes the content of the course. PTCAS will use course subjects in the calculation of your GPAs. If the subject is not on this list, search for another subject area related to this course and select it from the list. The subject must be chosen from the list provided.


Enter the attempted credit value for the course, exactly as it appears on your transcript. If you completed courses with unit credits, you may need to convert the unit hours to semester hours (eg, 1.00 credit = 4 semester hours). Enter credit conversions before submitting the application.


Enter the grade exactly as it appears on your transcript.  The official PTCAS reported grade will automatically populate. For nongraded courses, enter the appropriate letter abbreviation:

  • AU – Audited
  • CR – Credit
  • I – Incomplete
  • NG – No Grade
  • NP – No Pass
  • NS – Not Satisfactory
  • P – Pass
  • S – Satisfactory
  • U – Unsatisfactory
  • W – Withdrawn
  • WF – Withdrawn Failing
  • WP – Withdrawn Passing

Review and Finalize Transcripts

Once you have entered all courses from all United States and Canadian institutions attended, complete the transcript review process to finalize your coursework section. You will need to review your coursework from each institution attended.

Primary College Attended

The primary institution is the college or university where you will earn or have earned your first bachelor’s degree. If no degree, select the institution in which you completed the most undergraduate courses.


If you have any courses that were labs or included a lab component on your transcript, then select yes.

Repeated Courses

You must enter all attempts of every course taken, even if you later repeated a course or if your college removed the initial attempt from your GPA calculation. Mark the first, subsequent, and final course attempts as “Repeated.” Enter the number of credit hours attempted, regardless of how many credits you earned. List all grades as stated on the transcript.

Advanced Placement

Enter any AP courses that appear on your official transcripts under the term the credit was granted by your college. Mark courses as “Advanced Placement” during the Transcript Review.

Other Test Credit

If you have course credits fulfilled by tests other than AP exams (such as CLEP, Department Exam, Institutional Exam, IB, and the Regents Exam) and clearly marked as a test credit on your transcript, then select yes.

Honors Coursework

Specify any honors-level coursework.

Study Abroad

Specify if you have completed any coursework as part of a study-abroad program. If yes, it should be listed under the United States institution that sponsored the program. A foreign transcript evaluation is not needed for study-abroad coursework.